January 21, 2012

What to do...

So as most of you probably know I've been planning on studying Human Resources at Utah State University. That has always been my plan, ever since I moved to Logan to go to school. Well yesterday I got some news that shattered that plan into a million non-repairable pieces. Apparently The Huntsman School of Business has decided to discontinue the HR major (along with a few others). There was no warning, no window of opportunity saying that it will stop as of a certain date...nothing...just GONE. Of course it's just my luck that this happens the SEMESTER before I finally declare. I'm in the last two classes I need to be admitted into the program...perfect right? Especially since one of those classes was the biggest pain to get into, seriously, I just attended my first official day as an enrolled student yesterday. Yeah good times. So, what do I do now? Well, I'm still going to do business because anything else would require starting over pretty much and after 3 years...I am NOT starting over again. I did some investigating last night to try and come up with a Plan B and this is what I came up with. I can take 4 more Econ classes and get a basic Econ degree and then 5 classes to minor in HR, which means only 9 more classes total until graduation, and the potential of possibly graduating next spring (if I play my cards right, do well, and the classes fall in just the right places). I have an appointment with my Undeclared Business advisor on Monday afternoon to see if this plan is possible and ultimately doable. If I can do it I'll still get to minor in HR...not quite as good but I don't have any other option. I don't see why it can't work. The requirements sheet I looked at says that Econ is good for those that want a dual major, but doesn't say that it HAS to be used as part of a dual major. That's good news, right?

2 comments: